Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year's!

Happy New Years Friends!
I have to say I am sad to see 2010 go, its been a great year filled with very exciting moments and big life changes but I am so excited to welcome in a new year cause I know it will be better then the last.  One of the best things that will happen in 2011 is I will have one of my very favorite people in New York with me!  I plan to make her pancakes for breakfast on a very regular basics. 
 
Pancakes just like these coconut pancakes from Mark Bittman. I really like Mark Bittman not only for his NY times contributions but I believe in his food philosophy and want to follow it in the new year.  Less meat and dairy more leafy green things.  I am NOT giving up meat or dairy just cutting back.  Mark's Food Matters cookbook is filled with reasonable and delicious recipes like these pancakes which are vegan but I served them with fresh whipped cream which defeated the purpose of vegan oops!
Since I have been living alone and really only cooking for myself these days, I was so so excited to make breakfast for a friend it was a lovely way to to start the very last day of 2010.  I was actually so excited to be cooking breakfast for someone that I forgot to take any photos after we sat down to eat, he he I was too busy talking loudly (huge surprise I know). 
COCONUT PANCAKES adapted from here
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut 
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 baking soda
1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 250°F. 
Whisk together in a large bowl first 6 ingredients and 3/4 teaspoon salt. 
In a medium bowl whisk coconut milk, 11/4 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and vanilla. 
Whisk coconut milk mixture into dry ingredients until batter is pourable.
Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Working quickly and using back of spoon, spread each pancake to about 4-inch round. Cook until small bubbles appear on surface and bottoms of pancakes are golden, reducing heat if browning too quickly, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. 
Transfer to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven.


BERRY MINT SALAD
1 cup blueberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup diced strawberries
few springs of fresh mint coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon maple syrup

mix all ingredients in a medium bowl 

I served the pancakes self serve style on a platter with the berries by the side and a big bowl of vanilla whipped cream. You can always plate this 3 pancakes on a plate topped with berries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Miles being towel dried after pancakes and playing in the snow
photo courtesy of priya


No comments:

Post a Comment