Wednesday, June 2, 2010

cream+eggs+sugar


Welcome to my blog!  I am so excited to have finally created a place to share my baking it took me awhile to give into the world of social media but here I am figuring it out one step at a time. oh and I should mention the first post yeah no baking I promise i will makeup for it later this week with a very scrumptious pie recipe.

This past holiday weekend was filled with food and family like many of my weekends to come this summer.  Memorial Day always signifies the start of long Saturday by the family pool with lots of kids running around, a dog or two jumping in the pool and my favorite part good libations and even better food.  With my excitement for summer super huge this year I decided to start if off with a bang! and made 3 batches of homemade ice cream Lemon Basil, Strawberry, and Vanilla, let me tell you it was totally worth it.

lemon basil 

The funny thing about ice cream is until recently it was probably my least favorite food.  I mean I always love a scoop of vanilla or my personal beach favorite of soft serve with rainbow sprinkles but I have never been one for crazy flavors or ice creams with chunks and bits of treats in them I would rather just have a sweet.  Somehow this changed and suddenly I can't get enough ice cream. I frequent capogiro's on a way to regular basis and even found time for some gorgonzola and fig ice cream in LA.  So this began by desire to make ice cream. it helps that this pretty little machine is at my mom house to help me make ice cream in oh 20 minutes!
professional gelato maker i am in love with you



So rather then tracking down 3 different recipes I decided to just find one good vanilla and improvised the basil and strawberry.  Now seeing as a spend most of my time reading food blogs I new i would be trying out a David Lebovitz recipe from The Prefect Scoop which I don't actually own but that will be changing since I know want to make ice cream all the time.  







VANILLA ICE CREAM
make about 1 Quart
1 cup whole milk (I added 1 1/2 cups milk)
a pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract









1. Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk with a paring knife, then add the bean pod to the milk. Cover, remove from heat, and infuse for one hour.
2. To make the ice cream, set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour the cream into the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Rewarm the milk then gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.
4. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.
5. Strain the custard into the heavy cream. Stir over the ice until cool, add the vanilla extract, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly. Preferably overnight.
6. Remove the vanilla bean and freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.


Variations
BASIL LEMON - omit vanilla bean and extract.  in step one add a zest of one lemon, and a large bunch of basil to milk, salt, and sugar mixture infuse for 1/2 hr then remove basil leaves from mixture
before freezing in the ice cream maker add the juice of half a lemon
STRAWBERRY - omit vanilla bean and no need to infuse.  while mixture is chilling finely chop 2 cups of strawberries and mix with 1/4 cup sugar (i didn't actually measure this) combine with mixture before freezing in ice cream maker.
store in an air tight container in the freezer should be good for 2 weeks if it last that long

No comments:

Post a Comment